PURPOSE: The Project Engineer (Utilities) performs professional-level work with implementing and managing engineering functions through all stages of a variety of public works projects. The incumbent utilizes engineering principles and practices to solve issues related to development review, proposed or existing infrastructure, and environmental issues. This position is responsible for the design and construction of public works systems such as water, sanitary sewer, and stormwater.
- Prepares engineering studies and engineering scope of services. Provides preliminary planning and design services.
- Assists in writing and preparation of contract documents and specifications.
- Coordinates interagency approvals and utility operations.
- Prepares necessary legal documentation and manages construction and post-construction activities for public works projects under the supervision of the City Engineer.
- Makes recommendations to the City Engineer regarding need and funding requirements for each project.
- Reviews and comments on private development plans.
- Determines and ensures compliance with state and local requirements on public works projects.
- Approves or returns plans for corrections or modifications.
- Recommends changes to the code for design of infrastructure serving development.
- Assists in the administration and monitoring of engineering programs including engineering projects in the 5-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Engineering Projects may include stormwater, sanitary sewer, water main, or other special projects.
- Promotes and maintains positive departmental public relations and image with customers, which include other City departments and staff, contractors, developers, property owners, and the community in general.
- Represents and consults with the community, city officials, businesses, and contractors regarding compliance issues and project development. Responds to inquiries from citizens, developers, and real estate agents.
- Coordinates interagency approvals and utility operations and preparation of legal documentation for construction activities.
- Implements engineering department vision and overall goals and objectives of the City.
- Directs engineering technicians and surveyors to accomplish engineering tasks related to design or construction of public infrastructure for the City.
- Prepares project work schedules and coordinates with other supervisors to manage engineering projects.
- Administer public works programs related to water distribution and sanitary sewer collection systems and the City of Brookfield Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan.
- Serves as technical consultant to ad hoc and legislative committees as requested.
2017 SALARY RANGE: $72,247.50 - $93,922.40 annually with excellent benefits. (Appointments are usually made at the beginning of the range).
APPLICATIONS will be accepted through WEDNESDAY, MAY 31, 2017. This deadline may be extended to meet the needs of the City.
HOW TO APPLY: You can now apply online through NEOGOV from our web site (www.ci.brookfield.wi.us).