Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in engineering, or closely related field and 8 years of engineering design and construction experience that includes significant experience with project and contracts management experience, preferably in a rail or transit related environment; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
• Possession of a valid Washington State Drivers License.
• A Professional Engineer license issued by the State of Washington is preferred.
Required Knowledge of:
• Operations, services, and maintenance of rail transit programs.
• Transit industry engineering principles and practices of mechanical, electrical and communications systems engineering for light rail transit.
• Transit industry project principles and practices including scope preparation, cost estimating and budget preparation for multi-billion dollar projects.
• General Transit agency design requirements, contract documents, policies, procedures, and safety certification.
• Engineering consulting services and methods including reports, studies, cost estimates, plans, and specifications.
• Schedule management including baseline, milestones and critical path management.
• Techniques to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities.
• Contract and procurement strategies and management principles.
• Risk assessment and strategic planning.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations as they apply to transit engineering programs and operations, including municipal codes, design and construction standards and planning documents.
• Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
Required Skill in:
• Preparing, reviewing, interpreting, and analyzing complex engineering plans, drawings, specifications, contract documents, and engineering reports for conformance to professional standards and transit system requirements.
• Applying advanced project management techniques and principles in defining and controlling a detailed project scope as a means of achieving overall project objectives within budget and schedule constraints.
• Performing negotiations and partnering with local jurisdictions, authorities having jurisdiction, utilities owners, contractors, and community groups.
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public.
• Interpreting and administering policies and procedures sufficient to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
• Presentation development and public speaking skills.
• Interpreting and applying applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Analyzing complex data and comprehensive reports.
• Developing and/or monitoring program/project operating budgets, costs, and schedules.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment with visits to the construction site as required.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds; may occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, physical harm, hazardous chemicals, and extreme noise when conducting site visits and working in the field.
The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
Apply online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/soundtransit/default.cfm
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value workplace diversity. We seek to create an environment and culture that embraces the differences of our employees. You will find an exceptionally diverse group of people at Sound Transit with regard to culture, beliefs, communication styles, and life and work experiences.
All qualified applicants are considered in accordance with applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status or any another legally protec