Director, Bus and Rail Operations (Transportation)
July 6, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
TRIMET Director, Bus and Rail Operations (Transportation)
Direct and manage all operational activities to ensure high quality service delivery for the integrated fixed-route bus and rail transportation department. Responsible for employee and labor relations, and monitoring of resource allocation and productivity of the operator workforce. Responsible for performance management and professional development of transportation managers. Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Ensure implementation and ongoing utilization of the Safety Management System. Perform related duties as required.
Responsible for the management of bus and rail transportation operational programs, procedures, and staff. Responsibilities include setting of goals and performance objectives, and monitoring and adjusting as needed to achieve required results. Manage and maintain cost effective delivery of all bus and rail transportation services.
2. Ensure effective leadership and management of all transportation operational staff in support of agency goals, regarding safety, on time performance and customer service. Lead employee recognition programs.
3. Develop and implement annual goals, and budget that support and align with the TriMet business plan. Establish clear goals, targets, strategic actions and scorecards. Monitor budget expenditures, measure performance goals and recognize achievements.
4. Responsible for building a strong relationship with the labor union.
5. Model and hold staff accountable through open communication, employee participation, performance management, and professional development.
6. Provide direct supervision and effective leadership of staff including oversight of hiring and training. Evaluate individual performance. Provide individual coaching, mentoring and counseling. Provide feedback and recognize achievement. Manage division employee relations issues, including grievance handling, training and development, corrective actions, performance improvement plans or disciplinary action as required, up to and including termination. Ensure appropriate delegation of related issues.
7. Develop and/or direct implementation of Field Operations, Operator or OCC training programs, job aids, and information resources.
8. Oversee workforce planning for staff (staffing, scheduling and forecasting).
9. Investigator in charge of advanced bus and rail incidents or accidents.
10. Respond to advanced events or emergencies.
11. Provide leadership to the City of Portland's operational team responsible for the delivery of Streetcar service. Demonstrate leadership that delivers business results and emphasizes an attitude of teamwork, excellent customer service, effective communication and a productive work environment.
12. Ensure regulatory compliance with federal, state and local regulations and laws. Keep current with proposed and new regulations.
13. Make presentations and provide media comment if requested and testimony as required in arbitration and/or civil courts, representing the agency and general public in all matters. Advance and protect the interests of the District and general public in all matters.
14. Responsible for developing, maintaining and updating safety and operating rules and SOPs for the entire Transportation Division.
15. Responsible for performing and supporting CMS assessments including scheduling supervisors and training staff on CMS. Oversee rule compliance and shared information platforms.
16. Responsible for document and mail services.
17. The position may be required to work in either of the following functions: Bus and Rail Operations (OCC and Field Operations) or Bus and Rail Operations (Transportation).
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Transportation/Logistics, Transportation/Urban Planning or a related discipline.
A minimum of eleven (11) years total credited experience. Experience in a transportation, transit, or service related industry with 5 years in a manager level role in one of the following area: Control Center, Field Operations, and/or Transportation.
Intermediate skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, database applications and other software applications required.
Must possess valid Class C drivers' license and be able to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License, with passenger endorsement and without airbrake restriction.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Advanced demonstrated and comprehensive knowledge of management principles and practices, including budgeting and employee relations. Significant experience in leading and managing large, complex employee and system changes.
2. Advanced knowledge of principles and practices associated with transit service delivery and operations command.
3. Demonstrated and comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices associated with operations, planning and project management. Proven experience in leading and managing strategy development and implementation.
4. Ability to define and establish metrics for success and hold team accountable for results.
5. Advanced ability in employee and labor relations. Demonstrated ability to build successful work teams in a unionized environment undergoing dramatic change and growth.
6. Advanced ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Ability to facilitate meetings, speak to individuals or groups, and present information in a clear and logical manner.
7. Advanced ability to reach sound decisions in deployment of resources under pressure of conflicting priorities and in emergency situations.
8. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including skill with collaborative problem-solving processes.
9. Ability to use business software programs as required for position, i.e Microsoft, Excel, Oracle, Outlook, PowerPoint, customer databases, etc.
10. Ability to work varied days, hours and shifts when necessary, including on-call response to serious accidents or incidents on a 24-hour basis including weekends and holidays.
11. Knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). ADA Statement As applied to the workplace, applicants and employees must be qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Essential functions may include required job functions performed infrequently as well as production standards related to the quality and quantity of work.
If a person with a disability could meet job qualifications with a reasonable accommodation, TriMet will work with the employee to accommodate the need. If TriMet's accommodation is effective in allowing the employee to perform the essential functions of the job, it need not be the employee's preferred accommodation.